The Right Swim Team Gear
Swimmers Take Your Mark…
Hi, my name is Angela, and I am a mother of four children. My oldest is almost eleven and has been on a competitive swim team for nearly 5 years. As a swim team mom, I have spent numerous hours on the Internet looking for practice swim suits, racing swim suits, practice gear, and a host of other items needed by my son to participate on the swim team. I built this website for other swim team moms, dad, grandparents, relatives, and friends to find everything and exactly what they are looking for…
When your child joins a swim team for the first time, it’s a steep learning experience for everyone involved- the swimmer and their parents, grandparents, friends and extended family all have swimming terms, competition rules, swimming gear names and needs, and swim meet formats to learn.
While I learned the swim team processes and lingo the hard way, I strive to provide important information and answers to your questions throughout this site, making the entire swim team experience easier and more enjoyable for everyone involved! My ultimate hope is that your child’s swim team makes the same positive impact within your life and the lives of your family members, as it has made in my own!
Positive Impacts of a Swim Team
Swimming is a sport that allows children to interact with other kids their same age, while staying healthy at the same time. Many swimmers even build lifelong friends as a result of their participation within the sport. And, swimming is a sport that a child can take into their adulthood- giving them something to participate in throughout their entire life!
Some of the other positive benefits of a swim team include:
• The Swim Team Environment- Team sports offer not only physical benefits, but also emotional and psychological. Sports offer children the ability to learn and develop their leadership skills. While some children are born with natural leadership abilities, other children learn the skill through participating in team sports. Students who participate in team sports often have greater academic performance than students who don’t. Team sports like swim teams teach children about setting benchmarks, about seeking improvement and about striving for excellence, all skills which translate into the classroom. Children who participate in team sports also often experience increased self esteem, increased confidence and lower stress levels than students who don’t. The positive impacts of swim teams and other team sports are overwhelming!
• The Health Benefits of Swimming- Swimming is a form of exercise that burns a high quantity of calories, is easier on the child’s joints than higher impact sports, works to build strong muscles and endurance and promotes a healthy body overall.
• Social Benefits of a Swim Team- The social benefits of your child participating on a swim team extend outside of their own life. Swim teams provide social benefits for the parents, grandparents, extended family and circle of friends. Parents often develop a larger circle of friends by becoming friends with the parents of other swim team members. Dinner parties, social gatherings and other community events often develop among the swim team parents. A sense of community and comrade develop not only with the parents of team members, by also within the entire extended family and the swimmer’s grandparents.
• Impacts of Leadership- Swimmers on a swim team are positively impacted by a number of adult figures, including coaches, officials and the collective group of parents. Each of these individuals serves as role models for the swimmer, giving them an authority figure in which to learn from and to model after. In addition to these benefits, each of these adult figures provide a collective, extended family effect which adds to the development and instruction that the swimmer is receiving within their own home. This collective group serves as the ‘village’ needed to raise a child in today’s world.
• Learning from Mistakes- As with any sport, swimming presents a variety of developmental opportunities for the athlete. Mistakes made during practice and during a swimming event, such as being disqualified, present the athlete with the chance to evaluate their efforts and results for strengths and weaknesses. They can review these results for opportunities in which to improve during the next competition, giving them areas of focus during swim practice. Self awareness is an important skill to possess as an adult, as no matter what the forum, evaluating where you presently are, where you want to go and what steps are required to get there, is a prerequisite for achieving success.
Team sports offer benefits to the swimmer, as well as to everyone that touches the swimmer’s life. I may be a little biased, but I can think of no better team sport than a swim team!
Everything Needed to Participate and Compete on a Swim Team
If you are like me, finding time to locate needed swimsuits, accessories, and equipment needed to be a part of a swim team can be challenging. That is one of the reasons I created this comprehensive swim team website- now anything and everything you need to participate and compete on a swim team is at your fingertips.
Here is a brief list of the products offered through SwimTeamMoms.com:
- Swim team apparel
- Swim caps
- Swim team backpacks
- Men’s racing swimsuits
- Women’s racing swimsuits
- Swim fins
- Snorkel gear
- Competitive swim goggles
If it is needed to participate or compete on a swim team, it is available on this site!